Thirsty Thursday Eve - Jim Beam Pineapple
I picked up some pineapple bourbon during a recent Costco run, but I was left with more questions than answers once I tried it.
Name: Jim Beam Pineapple
Source: Jim Beam
Style: Pineapple Liqueur infused with Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
ABV: 32.5%
Price: $8.99 (normally $16.99)
Volume: 750ml
Price per oz: $0.35 (normally $0.67)
Every time I visit the Costco liquor store, I make a pass around to see the new wares even if I'm there for a specific item. It's how I stumbled across the Bottled-In-Bond and Small Batch Bourbon. Sometimes it's a way to find a new favorite, and other times it's a product I know and love for cheaper than I can find it elsewhere. In either case, it pays to window shop.
I stopped by in early June and I discovered an absurd discount on Jim Beam Pineapple. I like Jim Beam, and pineapple goes in a lot of things. At $8.99 for a fifth, that was cheaper than basically anything else in the store. I figured I had to pick some up.
I got home and realized I had no idea what to do with pineapple bourbon. I like bourbon neat, and I like it mixed with things. Pineapple is great, but it rarely overlaps with bourbon drinks. I could drink it neat, but it's extremely niche. Sweet, with the subtle burn of bourbon on the back end. Maybe it would go better in a wing sauce.
Rifling through the liquor cabinet, I saw some of the Margaritaville PiƱa Colada mixes. I've used Bacardi Pineapple Rum for those and it was good, why not pineapple bourbon? The cocktail was fine, but the bourbon faded into the background. It wasn't significantly different from the rum variant. Drinkable, sure, but why bother with the bourbon?
At 35 cent per ounce, it's cheap. Not the cheapest bourbon I've had, but certainly affordable. For the proof, it's reasonable. At sticker price, it would be significantly less compelling of a purchase. I'm not mad that I got it on sale, it's something unusual to drink every now and then. I would be much less satisfied if I paid normal price.
In general, I would prefer a good bourbon that doesn't have the awkward flavor of pineapple attached. It has more utility if I can add flavor after the fact. The combination of bourbon and pineapple makes it a uni-tasker that I'll almost never use.
If you can find it this cheap, Jim Beam Pineapple isn't bad. However, I can't recommend it at the normal price. It's certainly not bad, but how often are you going to need a pineapple flavored bourbon?
Comments
Post a Comment