The Dresden Files

I’ve read soooooooo many books since the last Words on Wednesday Book Report. Some are on Goodreads. Some, I just stopped recording. Quite a few have been from The Dresden Files.

Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Storm_Front.png


In short, The Dresden Files is a series that follows Harry Dresden, a wizard detective in modern day Chicago. A friend at work recommended the series, and I decided to at least listen to the first of the series as an audiobook. What I expected was some Harry Potter-esque YA fiction. What I got was much darker and more engaging.

I have currently read 8 of the 17 currently published books of the series, through “Proven Guilty.” Every single one of them is a deep dive in some wizarding lore, mixed with detective techniques, mixed with juicy drama. The second book was a little slow for me, but every other book in the series has just been fantastic. All of the recurring characters are interesting and fleshed out, and I personally can’t get enough of the humor.

The first book in the series is “Storm Front” and it opens up with a ton of different characters and concepts that are unpacked over time. If you’re even remotely open to the idea of high fantasy and thriller/mystery genres, I think it has a lot to offer. Even if you aren’t fully sold on the concept, somebody within the first few books is bound to appeal to you.

At this point, I’m hooked. The books are fantastic, and the audiobook versions are something in the ballpark of 15 hours, so they aren’t overwhelming. I’m starting to cut them with other books, so I’m not just chugging Dresden books, but I haven’t gotten bored of the series yet and normally that hits a lot earlier than 7 books in.

If you like high fantasy stuff OR mystery novels, you might like The Dresden Files. If you like both (as I do), you’ll probably love it. Personally, I hit a slump with the werewolves in book 2, but different preferences might put that slump elsewhere. In any case, give it a couple books before you decide to check out completely. This is easily in my top 5 book series now, and I’d be remiss to let someone disregard it before it really hits stride.

Comments