Thirsty Thursday Eve - Evan Williams

You know what’s hilarious? Seeing a bunch of kids barely out of high school cowering in fear at “brown liquor” after they’ve been shotgunning cheap beer like champs for hours. Really puts things in perspective. But Evan Williams is good for a lot more than just that.

Name: Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Source: Evan Williams
Style: Bourbon
ABV: 43%
Price: $19.99
Volume: 1.75L
Price per oz: $0.34


I’m a fan of bourbon. I won’t say that it’s my favorite spirit with any certainty, but it’s often the liquor that I reach for to sip on straight. I’ll mix vodka or rum with almost anything, especially for buzz maintenance, but I’m not just pouring up shots or highball glasses of vodka. Bourbon, though? I’ll hit a glass with 2 or 3 fingers and just sip, because it’s gosh dang delicious.

Previously, Jim Beam was my bourbon of choice. It’s cheap, it’s accessible, and it’s pretty good. My local liquor store still has a deal on 2 fifths for $20, and really, it’s hard to get cheaper for anything that isn’t absolute garbage. It mixes well, it drinks straight without complaint, you really can’t go wrong with Beam.

A few months back, a friend asked me to give him a decent selection of Costco liquors. I’m typically his Costco guy, and I know a thing or two about alcohol. He didn’t give me many conditions besides keeping things relatively inexpensive, and hitting a fairly wide variety. That’s a cake request. American Vodka, because it’s cheap as dirt and mixes fantastic in anything. Bacardi white rum, because rum is amazing and Costco doesn’t yet offer a white rum. And…. something dark. Costco’s bourbon offering is a little on the primo side, and doesn’t really stand up to similar offerings. Lately, though, they carry Evan Williams for very low prices.


I gave my buddy the disclaimer that I couldn’t vouch for Evan Williams personally, but he was comfortable with that decision based on personal experience. I picked up a bottle, along with a few other things, and he was content with the selection. A few weeks later, he came over for a visit and brought the bottle of Evan Williams with him. As one of my borderline alcoholic friends, he and I share a lot of recent findings, and he took it upon himself to share some of the Evan with me.

Previously, I hadn’t tried Evan Williams. I had no brand loyalty, or any reason to avoid it, I just hadn’t come upon the opportunity to try it. We cracked it open, tried a little neat, and mixed some afterward. All in all, I was tremendously impressed. It wasn’t primo; Longbranch from Wild Turkey scratches that itch for me. But for a bottom shelf or well bourbon, that was some doggone good stuff.

Obviously, something so good and so cheap had to be a new staple for my liquor cabinet. I picked up a bottle for myself the next time that I went to Costco, and it has been good to me. I haven’t bought more Jim Beam since, but that’s more of a condition based on convenience rather than price or quality. One minor difference, Evan Williams is 43% ABV in contrast to the 40% from Jim Beam. That’s a very small change, but it’s a little more alcohol for a similar or less price.

Lately, I keep Evan Williams on hand at pretty much all times. It’s good, very good even. I’ve had better bourbon, but I pay premium for it. Something that I’m not saving for special occasions, Evan hits that perfect price point and quality. It’s very good, but I can replace it for minimal investment.

If you have a Costco membership, pick some up. I can’t vet the standard liquor store price, but you can’t go wrong with the price it goes for at Costco. It’s solid bourbon to keep on hand, whether you mix or drink it straight. When Costco doesn’t carry it anymore, I’ll probably switch back to Jim. Until then, I think Evan is my ride or die for now.

Comments