Thirsty Thursday Eve - Jim Beam

Summer vacation is a time when you go commando in cargo shorts and drink cheap spirits and beer while the kids play on a bouncy house. At least that's what it means for me. Except it's not summer, and this isn't vacation. I'm working from home, because of the coronavirus. With the risk of transmission of COVID-19, my employer has strongly suggested we work from home if at all possible. Because I don't have to commute to work or take a shower before I clock in (or get dressed for that matter), I can party pretty late into the evening and still get started with work on time. Plus, it's definitely hot enough to feel like summer. Hence, this is the working man's summer vacation.


Recently, I picked up some Jim Beam on sale from my local Eagles. I've always got my eyes peeled for a good price on a distilled spirit I enjoy. Since I've gotten away from bourbon lately, a good deal on a cheap bourbon was just what I wanted to get my taste buds acclimated to the Kentucky signature spirit again.

On sale, the bottles run me $20 for two 750ml bottles. You get a little over 25 ounces from 750ml or about 16 shots of 1.5 ounces out of a fifth. Per bottle, that's $10 for 16 shots, or 60 cent per shot. A smidge higher than my bottom shelf baseline, but still pretty darn cheap. By my unscientific estimation, bourbon seems to run a little more expensive than other types of distilled spirits in general. I'm not entirely certain why, just something I've noticed over time.

While Beam is probably the most common entry level bourbon, maybe even one of the most popular Bourbon options across the board, how does it compare to some other options? I’m not a bourbon connoisseur, but I’ve tried a few in my day.

On the lower end of the spectrum, T. W. Samuels is definitely a more harsh drink. At $9 for a fifth, it's only a buck cheaper than Beam (at least on sale). The difference is extremely noticeable, and I'd argue worth much more than a single dollar. If you're going bottom shelf, Beam is a much better option than Samuels, if you can even find it. On a chart of price and quality, anything priced below Beam drops off in quality very quickly. There are cheaper options, but most are probably trash.

On the higher end, I personally have Maker’s Mark and Wild Turkey Longbranch on hand. From memory, I think the Maker’s Mark is about $25 at my place, and the Wild Turkey was on sale for about $35 from Costco. Without getting too detailed here, they definitely justify the price point. Maker’s Mark is certainly a notch above Jim Beam, but still in range to be comparable. I’d argue that the Wild Turkey is beyond comparable, but that’s about the highest end that I have personally tasted. Maker’s Mark is perfectly fine to mix or drink straight. Wild Turkey, I exclusively drink straight; either neat or with a few ice cubes. Beam is alright to drink straight, but I tend to mix it more often.


If you plan on drinking it straight, Beam can be a little rough around the edges. If you're mixing it, you can make a perfectly acceptable bourbon and Coke (or diet Dr. Pepper). In fact, if you're shooting for the budget level of quality, I'd argue it's ideal. Popular enough to be readily available, cheap enough that it doesn't break the bank, and decent enough that you can drink it straight or mixed. Sure, there are better options available for not a ton more money, but think Beam is a high point in terms of value. Don’t let the plastic bottle turn you off from the brand. They’re just saving money on the packaging to give you more liquor for the price.

Comments