Thirsty Thursday Eve - Kirkland Signature Original Spiced Rum

Of all the things I might discuss for the first Thirsty Thursday Eve post, Costco’s Kirkland Signature Original Spiced Rum seemed to be the most appropriate. I love everything from Costco anyway, and their drinks are no different. I recommend it to pretty much anyone who partakes in alcohol, and I always have a bottle up on the shelf. It may not be the single best distilled spirit I’ve ever had, but it’s really good, and really cheap.


Price is the biggest selling point for this spiced rum. I can get a 1.75 L handle from my local Costco for $15. I don’t know of another liquor you can get for that cheap, let alone something worth drinking. Some quick math shows us that 1.75 L is approximately 60 oz. For a 1.5 oz shot, you can get right at 40 shots from a handle. This comes out to about 37.5 cent per shot. You get a shot of rum for less than 40 cent. This stuff is cheap.


When I say cheap, though, I speak solely on price. This rum does not *taste* cheap. I won’t say the quality is amazing, but it certainly isn’t bad. Another spiced rum I like is Blackheart, and I would say the Kirkland Signature spiced rum is similar in flavor. I may prefer the Kirkland Signature slightly, but that could just be because I drink it more often. Either way, it’s pretty good. I’ll drink it neat, on the rocks, or mixed with soda. I’m not an expert on distilled spirits. I can’t taste the subtle notes of butterfly breath and caribbean sun or whatever, but I don’t really feel like that matters. I like it, even without appreciating the finer details.

At 92 proof, Costco’s spiced rum also has a little more punch than the standard 80 proof liquor. In my opinion, this gives it a little more diversity. You can drink it straight for an extra kick, or you can dilute it slightly to open up the flavor more and cut some of the alcohol. When mixing, the rum maintains a presence where other spirits might get snuffed out. As a serving suggestion, I usually fill a highball glass with ice and pour about 3 fingers. The first few sips have nearly the full proof, and it grows more mild as the ice melts.


One thing that I frequently hear is people hating on specifically this spiced rum, and generally spirits from Costco, for being a store brand alcohol. If it doesn’t come from a well known distillery, how can it be any good? Thing is, it probably *does* come from a well known distillery. Costco has many products that are rebranded versions of products from existing brands. They guarantee a large purchase volume, with the exchange that it be sold under Costco’s Kirkland Signature brand, and typically at a lower price. The specific brand usually isn’t revealed, but Costco isn’t just distilling their own spiced rum out in a warehouse somewhere.

The other issue is the general snobbishness and superiority that come along with alcohol connoisseurs. Kirkland Signature spiced rum isn’t Santa Teresa 1796, so it isn’t any good. I personally haven’t had ultra high end spiced rum, so I honestly can’t say how it compares. But, I do know that I like drinking Costco’s product, and I can actually afford it. That’s like saying that filet mignon is better than a burger. No crap, Sherlock. It’s also significantly less obtainable, and I’m not turning down a good burger any time soon.


The bottom line here is value. There are better liquors. There are cheaper liquors. However, getting this quality at this price is something I haven’t seen in anything else. For only $15, you aren’t breaking the bank to have a good time, and you don’t have to save it for special occasions. At the same time, it’s good enough to share with friends and not feel like you’re giving them leftover swill. If nothing else, it’s worth picking up a bottle to try. If you hate it, you’re only out $15, and I’ll take the rest of it off your hands.

Sources:
Kirkland Signature Original Spiced Rum St. Croix Island. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/kirkland-signature-original-spiced-rum-st-croix-island.507933/
Kirkland Signature Original Spiced Rum, 1.75L. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.costco.co.uk/Food-Wine-Household/Spirits/Rum/Kirkland-Signature-Original-Spiced-Rum-175L/p/819195
Kirkland Signature Original Spiced Rum, Saint Croix, United States Virgin Islands: Prices. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/kirkland signature original spice rum st croix united virgin island caribbean
Kirkland Spiced. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.rumratings.com/brands/2076-kirkland-spiced
LLC, P. (n.d.). Kirkland Signature Spiced Rum. Retrieved from https://www.proof66.com/rum/kirkland-signature-spiced-rum.html
Rum questions/discussions. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6280
The Best Top Shelf Rum Brands. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ranker.com/list/best-top-shelf-rum-brands/ranker-shopping

Comments