Thirsty Thursday Eve - Highland Thunderstruck Coffee Porter

I’m a huge fan of the flavor of coffee, and coffee-infused beer is no exception, even if it is from Highland Brewing. That isn’t a knock on Highland, as much as it serves to highlight how recently I’ve come to appreciate their offerings.


The first beer I ever tried by Highland was their Gaelic Ale. As is the case with many of my beer-related experiments, it started at the Mix-N-Match at my local Ingles. A friend of mine is a big fan of his Scottish roots, so he was super excited to try the Gaelic Ale when we found it. We tried it back at my house, and it was just alright. I wasn’t put off by it, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get it again either. Better than an IPA, not as good as a porter or bock.

For a while, the Gaelic Ale was the only thing I saw (or noticed, at least) from Highland. Eventually, though, I started seeing other styles from the brewery. Most notably, we came across Thunderstruck in due time. It is a seasonal offering, unfortunately not available all the time, but we were all pretty curious about it when we saw it.


We picked one up, and I was absolutely delighted with it. Only slightly bitter, which I realize does come with the territory of coffee. It still has the maltiness of the porter. Overall, it is absolutely true to the flavors of both coffee and porter. If you like either, and especially if you like both, I would highly recommend trying Thunderstruck if you come across it during fall and winter.

Like most craft brews, it can be a little pricey. In my area, a 6-pack was right at $10. There are cheaper options available, but I would gladly pay the premium for this gem of a beer. I think the exclusivity of seasonal availability makes it that much more of a special treat. Pick one up if you see it in a Mix-N-Match area, but just know you’ll probably be returning for a 6-pack of it soon. Just don’t wait until it’s gone.

Comments