Platinum on Final Fantasy XV

After 80 hours of playing and almost 7 months, I finally got the platinum trophy on Final Fantasy XV.
I enjoyed FFXV enough that getting the platinum trophy was extremely likely, if not inevitable. Most PS4 games that I start playing, I at least look over the trophy list. If they all seem reasonably easy, I’ll go for platinum. Just a few hours into FFXV, I noticed that the platinum shouldn’t be too hard, and it honestly wasn’t. A little time consuming, sure, but not painfully difficult.
The main campaign took me right at 50 hours, at which point I’d already hit most of the highlights. All I had left was to gather the rest of the royal arms, grind out the remaining character skills, and kill the Adamantoise, mostly. Collectively, a bit, but individually, none of them were very taxing.
Getting Noctis’s fishing skill to level 10 was probably the most frustrating. Fishing, as a mechanic, is fairly well implemented in FFXV. It’s just not something I care to do, especially as much as I had to do to max out the skill. I bought the best gear, did the fishing quests for the gear and xp, and did everything I could to speed up the process. Even still, I’m fairly certain it took me a few weeks to finally finish with it.
Killing Adamantoise, what many people consider one of the most frustrating trophies, was certainly annoying. Not hard at all, every single attack is telegraphed and easy to dodge. Just really, really, really, really long. It took me something in the ballpark of 3 hours, across a few days. Supposedly, there are faster ways to finish the fight. I don’t care, I beat it and grabbed that trophy as my second to last remaining. All I had to do after that was camp about 10 times in a row to get Ignis’s cooking skill from 9 to 10.
Looking back, that’s the first platinum trophy I’ve received in almost exactly a year. The last one I got was Ratchet & Clank (2016) back in September 2016. As I’ve discussed several times before, I really just don’t have the time to go for every platinum I see anymore. On top of a full time job, a freelance job, and a family, I now also have school to worry about. Video games just aren’t a high priority, so I have to be selective with what I play.

I may start writing posts for every platinum trophy I get now. They’re certainly rare enough that I won’t be bombarding my blog with platinum announcements. Just could be a neat way of noting, hey, I actually enjoyed this game enough to play it to 100% completion (or whatever is required for platinum).

Comments