Thirsty Thursday Eve - Rock N Roll Mango Tequila

Cruises are awesome and the duty free shop is crazy. But perhaps the craziest thing of all is how well social manipulation can convince you to buy a product you have no interest in: namely, mango flavored tequila.


Name: Rock N Roll Mango Tequila
Source: Rock N Roll Tequila
Style: Tequila
ABV: 32%
Price: $52.99 (estimated)
Volume: 750ml
Price per oz: $2.09

We went on a cruise over spring break and it was awesome. The food was incredible, the ship was really cool, and I got to leave the country for the first time in my life. It gets a full 7/5 and absolute recommendation.


One of the things we did while on the sailing days was visit the duty free liquor store. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize why the store had such weird hours: it’s only open while the ship is in international waters. Makes sense, you can’t exactly ignore national tax laws unless you’re in international waters. I digress.


The first night or two on the ship, one of the display bottles got my wife’s attention. It was a little guitar bottle, which admittedly looked really cool. She wanted one, not for the alcohol inside, but for the bottle itself. I couldn’t blame her, it was a cool bottle. Besides, after we finished the liquor itself, we could use the bottle as a decanter for Fireball.

After close investigation, it turned out to be mango tequila. Eww. Mango flavor is fine, but tequila? I hate tequila. It frequently makes me sick and I just don’t like the flavor of it. Regardless, happy wife, happy life. She liked the bottle and, by Jove, we were going to leave that ship with a bottle.


I went in during one of the last nights on the ship and grabbed a bottle to purchase. There were several promotions for various spirits in the store. I picked up two liters of Bacardi for $30, which I’m pretty sure is a good deal. When I got to the register, I asked the cashier if the blue bottles were available for the “buy two” sale. Unfortunately, that’s the premium tequila that came at a premium and it wasn’t eligible for the sale. I certainly wasn’t going to buy TWO guitar bottles of tequila that I didn’t care about actually drinking. ALSO, let me note that the bottle itself is tinted orange. The tequila itself is just clear.


The cashier let me sample the mango tequila, and it actually wasn’t bad. It’s very sweet (that’s a good thing here), and the mango flavor is far more prevalent than the taste of the tequila itself. It’s a low proof tequila to begin with, which I’m fine with. Very little burn and a nice citrusy taste with little lingering flavor. Pour a shot over ice and consider how much more you would prefer to be in Mexico on a beach rather than working on a Wednesday morning.

The tequila is fine. It isn’t terrible, but it isn’t great. At $53-ish for a fifth, I would MUCH rather spend that money on quality bourbon or rum. I don’t love tequila anyway, but how often are you going to find a guitar-shaped bottle? It was worth the price for my wife’s satisfaction and the experience of trying a new tequila. Now where’s Costco with my dirt cheap handle of Fireball?


I love the opportunity to try new spirits. Next time we go on a cruise, I’ll definitely be hitting the duty free shop and picking up a few bottles of something. Part of this order will definitely be a taxless purchase of something I like, but I kinda like the tradition of buying some weird bottle of something to bring home and try. Maybe I’ll catch y’all next spring break in the duty free shop of Mariner of the Seas.

Comments