Talking Tech - Apple M1 MacBook Air 13

I got a MacBook Air for my wife a while back when her Surface Pro 7 started critically failing, and the process of setting it up and learning macOS has been super weird.


For a very long time, I was aggressively opposed to anything from Apple. Their products were a bunch of overpriced, underperforming junk that didn’t have any place outside artsy studios used by media content creators. At least, that was my take on the brand. People who paid big bucks to use a browser at a coffee shop were just wasting their money for a faux status symbol.

Eventually, I became apathetic to Apple and its presence in the personal computing device arena. It wasn’t for me, but I wasn’t everyone. There are plenty of people who like Apple hardware, they prefer Apple software, and I want those options available to them. I wasn’t interested, but why should I care what other consumers choose to use?

I wasn’t a Google fanboy anymore, since Chromebooks really just aren’t a valid replacement for a full laptop or desktop experience. Similarly, I hadn’t been a huge Microsoft fan for a while, though the Surface Pro series is really solid. Within the mobile phone space, I still think Android offers the best fusion of accessibility, customization, and options that run the gamut of pricing and performance needs. I do love my Pixel 8 Pro, but the sheer volume of Android devices available is fantastic for consumers.

When my wife’s Surface Pro 7 hit some critical issues, it quickly became clear that she needed a replacement device. However, I was really at a loss for what we should replace it with. When she first got her Surface, the tablet form factor played into her needs as a student. Now, she doesn’t really use the tablet mode very much. It was effectively just a couch companion to play some games and do some lightweight web browsing. In that scenario, I wasn’t sure that another Surface Pro was what she wanted or needed.

Around the same time, Apple started heavily discounting the M1 MacBook Air line due to the release of the new M3 MacBooks. I joked at first about getting her a MacBook (we were both vehemently opposed to Apple before), but that joke very quickly became serious. All of the reviews that I could find spoke highly of the M1 chips and MacBook Air as a platform. At roughly $700, the discounted M1 MacBook Air was substantially lower than most other Apple hardware and even comparable to budget and midrange Windows devices. It had to become a valid consideration.

Previous experience has taught me that truly budget Windows devices are basically money wasted. The performance and specs simply can’t handle the OS effectively, so they’re frustrating to use and they don’t last long. If I was in for something just under a grand anyway, I wanted to make sure I looked honestly at all of my options. A new Surface was on the table, but they were more expensive, and I wasn’t sure if she would take advantage of it the way she did before anyway. The more I looked, the more it seemed like the MacBook Air was a great option, potentially even the best.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I ran the idea of getting a MacBook by her. We both hated Apple, so I expected some pushback. Fortunately, she was open to the idea. My only condition was that it had to run Sims 4. Easy enough, most reviewers suggested that the M1 chip was more than capable of playing games and performed similarly to midrange Windows chips at lower power consumption.


Seeing nothing but positives about the MacBook, I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Walmart. At worst, the return policy allowed 30 days for a full refund. I felt confident we would know whether we wanted to keep it within a month. The laptop arrived and I started setting it up. Given my lack of experience with MacOS, it took some time. I didn’t realize that MacBooks have a hard press and soft press on the touchpad, so installing applications threw me for a loop. Eventually, I got a grip on how the OS works and we were able to really put it through its paces.

I was honestly amazed at the performance. With 8GB of RAM, I really didn’t expect much. On a Windows machine, there would have been some noticeable lag when running multiple applications. The MacBook handled it like a champ. I suppose that’s the benefit of running Apple software on Apple silicon. Sims 4 ran buttery smooth, probably better than her Surface Pro 7 when it was brand new. We were sold.

In the months since, I’ve been consistently impressed with the MacBook Air and the M1 chip. I haven’t done any empirical tests to compare it directly with other devices we have, but it just feels super performant and the battery lasts forever. It may not be adequate to replace my work laptop, but it serves its position as couch companion very well. I’d be interested to see how ARM optimized software compares to Intel applications, but I just can’t be bothered to directly try that out. I’m not a professional reviewer, I’m just a guy who needed a new laptop.

The screen looks incredible with absurd viewing angles. The keyboard is fine (for a laptop keyboard). I much prefer my blue switch mechanical keyboard that I use with my home office setup, but I don’t suppose that’s a fair comparison. The aluminum body just looks and feels premium. Even if the internals aren’t top of the line, it’s a nice looking laptop. Given the price point, I think it’s a fantastic deal. I wouldn’t pay the prices that Apple demands for new hardware, especially with M3 or M4 chips, but a discount closeout M1 MacBook Air is the sweet spot of performance and price.


Beyond the MacBook, we aren’t becoming an Apple household, at least not immediately. I still love Android for mobile devices, and Pixel phones are just incredible. Some people really buy into the walled garden and having all your devices work together, but I’m a much bigger fan of being able to buy whatever brand I want for different components. Sure, Apple users get much better integration and some seamless transitions, but I want Skullcandy earbuds with my Google phone and my Samsung watch while I use my Apple laptop. I’ll deal with any missing features.

Comments