Coleman KT196 Go-Kart

We own a go kart, and let me just tell you from experience: small engine repair is a nightmare.


This go kart was a Christmas present to my kids a few years back. It seemed like the time. They were quickly outgrowing the 12V electric vehicles we got them earlier, and something gas-powered was the obvious next choice. We considered something like a 4-wheeler (because it’s not an “ATV” in the south), but that seemed a little too dangerous for them. They’re top heavy and easy to flip, and my kids aren’t exactly experts with caution. Instead, we decided that a go kart had the benefit of speed but safety in the form of a lower center of gravity and a roll cage. At worst, they probably wouldn’t be able to flip it and get stuck underneath it. When Amazon had a deal on the go kart we were interested in, I pulled the trigger.


Freighting it to the house was annoying. Normal Amazon deliveries are great, and very transparent with where a particular delivery is and when it should arrive. Third party freight services are not. We waited several weeks, and I was told it should be at a local freight location that seemed to have no knowledge of the delivery when I called. It finally arrived some weeks later, but I had serious doubts I would ever see the package.


After it was delivered, assembly was pretty easy. Fortunately, most of the engine and frame were already in one piece. All we had to do was install two wheels and build the roll cage on top. Easy enough, for someone like me who is less mechanically inclined. I took a quick lap after we finished assembling it to ensure everything was working. Seemed to be fine.

On Christmas morning, we made a big ordeal about bringing it out, and the kids were super excited. Unfortunately, the brakes decided to look up and prevent us from moving. I’m assuming that the system just needed a few cycles to get properly broken in, but it really put a damper on the morning. When we finally did get it running, my cousin flipped the go kart with one of the kids in it. Thank goodness for the roll cage, everyone came out with nothing but a few bruises.


One of the first issues we encountered was a broken rope start. I pulled a little too hard when trying to start the go kart and the rope and handle came off in my hand. Can't exactly start the engine without that. Fortunately, Amazon sells a replacement with the disc, rope, and handle as a complete kit. Took the old one off, put the new one on, and everything was back to normal.

A few months later, the engine started to stall. I did some research and found that a small bowl at the bottom of the carburetor was turned incorrectly when the kart was mostly assembled at the factory. Turns out other people had encountered the same issue. Easy enough to fix, I simply rotated it and tightened the bolt, and everything worked as designed.


Later still, the engine started stalling again. I tried to do research and figure out what I could try, but nothing gave me any ideas I hadn’t already attempted. Finally, a friend suggested using high test gasoline instead of the standard cheap gas that I use in our regular vehicles. He told me that he used to put the cheap stuff in his 4-wheeler, but switched to the 91 octane expensive fuel after he encountered the same issue. I figured it didn’t matter, but what did I have to lose besides a few bucks on a gallon of gas? I filled it up with the expensive gas that I’d never bother with in my truck, and sure enough, it started running again. I considered that maybe I should use the good stuff in all my vehicles, but I’m not made of money and that F-150 doesn’t have the greatest fuel economy.


So the engine was working, but at some point, the brakes had stopped working entirely. The pedal would bottom out, and the go kart wouldn’t even slow down. Fortunately, it slows pretty quickly on its own anyway when you let off the accelerator, but that’s not the safest mode of transport. After looking into the brake system, I found that the brake pad had just… fallen off at some point. The caliper was still attached, but there was nothing pressing against the disc to stop the kart.


I ordered a replacement for the full system and installed it. After taking another test run, I still couldn’t get the brakes to work at all. We tried bleeding the brakes, but couldn’t get any fluid to pull from the master cylinder. I decided that if I’m driving, the kids should be able to ride as long as we keep it off the road. But obviously, it is convenient to have brakes on motorized vehicles.


The latest that I’m finding is that it could be a bad master cylinder. Fortunately, the brake system replacement I bought came with another cylinder as well. I need to try swapping those out as soon as I can get an assistant to help me bleed the system, but we’ll get there when we get there.

All in all, it’s a super fun little machine. I don’t regret buying it. However, if you’re going to buy one, be prepared to handle a whole lot of maintenance and issues to keep it running.

Comments