Thirsty Thursday Eve - Kirkland Signature Bottled-In-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

I am a firm believer in having a bottle of “the good stuff” for special occasions. Be it a wedding, a new job, a funeral, or any other noteworthy moment, I like to have a particular spirit to commemorate the circumstance. Normally, this demands a premium price. Somehow, this Costco branded bourbon manages to bring the “good stuff” quality at what I would call a steal of a price.

Name: Kirkland Signature Bottled-In-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Source: Barton 1792 Distillery
Style: Bourbon
ABV: 50%
Price: $24.99
Volume: 1 Liter
Price per oz: $0.74


This one almost slipped by me. I was looking for what to write about for the next Thirsty Thursday Eve, and I couldn’t find anything interesting. I almost skipped over this bottle because I thought I had already written about it. Fortunately, I checked and noticed the glaring omission. You all really need to hear about this one.

As bourbons go, this is one of the better ones that I’ve had. I can’t definitively say that it’s the best, since particularly good bourbons are few and far between. However, it is at least the best I’ve had in a long time. Smooth, slightly sweet, with the subtle burn of smoldering coals from a campfire. It’s so good.


Worth noting, this is the only named spirit that I have seen with a Costco label. Most of the Kirkland Signature liquors are rebranded from other known distilleries, but the exact source is never made public. With this, it’s right there on the label. Costco explicitly lists Barton 1792 Distillery below the Kirkland Signature label, clearly indicating exactly what is in the bottle and where it came from.

I bought this bottle in August of 2022. Back when I was regularly going into the office, I would swing by the Costco liquor store on occasion and stock up on my staples, as well as try anything new they might have. This one was an obvious curiosity and at $24.99 for a liter, it was way cheaper than I’m used to paying for good bourbon. I thought that the exact price of this bottle was lost to the undocumented annals of time, but I took a picture when I bought it and Google Photos allows easy recollection of those memories. Hooray, technology!


When I got home, I had to try some. That first sip was divine. I don’t often splurge on great bourbon, but this was indeed fantastic. At that price point, and the strict limit of 6 bottles per customer, I had to go back and get more before they ran out.

I went into the office again a few days later and made the trip to Costco. In just that short time, they were completely sold out. The legendary bottle of inexpensive but delicious bourbon was no longer available. While I can’t say I was devastated, I was certainly disappointed.


In the almost two years since, I have checked for this mythical bourbon each time I go to Costco. Admittedly, I don’t go very frequently, but I do give it a shot whenever I’m nearby. Since then, I have never again seen Costco carry the Barton 1792 collaboration. Sure, I could just buy the name brand bottle from probably any liquor store, but it just isn’t the same. I want the good stuff, and I want it at a price that I can afford.

Comments