Thirsty Thursday Eve - Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey

Peanut butter whiskey is delicious, but it serves as a case study on too much of a good thing when you buy a whole handle of it.


I picked up a bottle of Skrewball one day when I hit Costco Liquor for the standard options that I always keep on hand. Of course, I had to grab my spiced rum and American vodka, but I also make a quick pass around the store to see if anything else catches my eye. On this particular visit, I noticed an unfamiliar bottle and my curiosity was piqued.

Peanut butter is delicious. It’s good on crackers, it’s good on apple slices, I’ll mix it into my overnight oats occasionally. George Washington Carver was my hero, to the degree that I actually won a prize in primary school for knowing that he was credited with the invention of peanut butter. So peanut butter whiskey was an OBVIOUS try. I wasn’t worried about Costco only selling handles, I’d be back for more soon enough anyway.

As soon as I got the bottle home, I had to give it a sip. The first thing you’ll notice about Skrewball is that it is extremely sweet. When I say peanut butter, don’t think of a fresh spoonful from a jar of Jif. Instead, imagine a Reese’s cup without the chocolate. It’s good, but it is very sweet.

After trying Skrewball straight, I considered what I might be able to mix it with. And I thought, and I thought, and I thought. You know what you mix Skrewball with? Nothing. You don’t mix Skrewball. There isn’t a single mixer that goes well with peanut butter flavor. And that’s the biggest problem with peanut butter whiskey.

I mentioned this to a coworker, and she said she loves to pour Skrewball over vanilla ice cream. Sure, that sounds decent, but I don’t tend to mix alcohol and dairy. And if I’m going to drink alcohol, I’m not really making dessert with it. Even if I did, it would take me forever to go through a handle.

I’ll still take a shot of Skrewball on occasion, and I’ve almost finished the bottle, but I don’t see myself buying another bottle. If I find some specific reason why I want more, I’ll probably just pick up a fifth or smaller. In and of itself, it’s good. It just doesn’t easily fit into a night of drinks with friends.

I don’t regret buying a handle of Skrewball. It’s better than Southern Comfort ever had a chance to be. But next time I buy a bottle of something I’ve never had, I’ll probably buy a smaller bottle.

Comments