Thirsty Thursday Eve - Yukon Jack Honey

“Only the strong survive.”

Or at least that’s what the bottle tells us. But personally, I’ve tried other spirits that required a substantially stronger stomach. The proof is a little high, but I wouldn’t really call 100 proof notably strong. I suppose it’s some vapid appeal to rugged masculinity, but hey, whatever your schtick is.


As for the actual drinking of Yukon Jack Honey, it’s… fine. The initial experience is sweet. As that fades out, you get more sweet. It is an intense sweetness, for sure. The tail end is akin to a mediocre whiskey. It isn’t really good or bad, just whiskey. For the most direct comparison that anyone is likely to have reference for, imagine Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey but higher proof.

I picked this up because it was on the discount shelf at the liquor store near work. The normal price there is $17.99, but the sale price was $12 for a fifth. At that price point, it’s cheap enough that the quality bar is set extremely low. It doesn’t really have to be great to be worth it, in my opinion. The standard sticker price of $18 would probably still be appropriate, but it’s genuinely a good deal for $12.

I do like trying new things, so that shelf has become a favorite of mine, but I’ve now bought Yukon Jack Honey twice. I’m not sure what that says besides I like it enough to give it another shot. To this day, I’ve still only bought a single bottle of Southern Comfort, and I’ll never willingly buy it again.

Drinking it straight tastes like heartburn. Adding some ice and a little time for it to melt is a little better. It somehow tastes more sweet, but the cheap whiskey flavor on the back is less pronounced. I think genuinely the main reason to buy this at all is to sweeten up some cocktails. Any drink that you might add simple syrup and whiskey to, this kinda serves both purposes. It’s particularly good with tea, if it isn’t already super sweet.


All in all, it’s nothing special. It’s fine as a mixer, and I can drink it straight, but I’m not going out of my way to do so. In general, I think it’s a good idea to keep some higher ABV spirits on hand for when you want to craft some stronger drinks. The low ABV of most liqueurs and flavored spirits takes out the punch of the alcohol in a lot of cases. Sometimes, you still want to know there’s some fire in the drink. Yukon Jack Honey isn’t great, but it’s good enough, and the price point goes down smooth.

Comments