The Framework Laptop

I’ve long said that I don’t really like laptops because they don’t seem to last long, and they are difficult or impossible to upgrade. One company is trying to change that.

A coworker introduced me to the Framework laptop. I had recently purchased my Surface Pro 7, but I was immediately intrigued. I’ve always gone budget tier with laptops, mostly because I treat them as almost disposable. It’s going to break down and become obsolete pretty soon anyway, and there’s no sense in paying a lot for one if my best option is going to be replacing it with a new model anyway. My Surface was a tentative bet on more premium lasting a little longer, but there still aren’t many ways you can upgrade it besides swapping out the solid state drive.

The master plan of Framework is a device that is modular. You pop open the case with the provided tool and switch components as necessary. Need more RAM? Pop in a larger chip. Processor isn’t fast enough, or you’re working with a model that’s a few years old? Same story. EVERYTHING is made to easily remove and upgrade. Heck, even the ports can be switched out depending on what you need.

I’m not really an early adopter on anything. Ever. Because of that, I think I would have opted out of these first generation Framework laptops, even if I was on the market for a new device. However, I will be following this company. Modular and easy to upgrade are music to my ears, and I would love to see them shake up the laptop industry with this type of architecture.

Hopefully, my Surface will last me for a few more years yet, but I very well might be considering a Framework laptop if they’re still around when I need another portable computer. I can’t say it would be the last laptop I ever purchase, but it would almost definitely get significantly longer use than most laptops that I’ve had before.

Comments