Thirsty Thursday Eve - Brown Eyed Squirrel

I always enjoy a good beer, but sometimes a particular beer becomes more than just a beverage.

Name: Brown Eyed Squirrel
Source: RJ Rockers
Style: American-Style Brown Ale
ABV: 5.6%
IBU: 18
Price: $9.47 per 6 pack at Ingles (0.132 per oz, ~1.58 per can)


The first time I ever had Brown Eyed Squirrel was at a friend’s bachelor party. We were sitting at the bar in Spare Time, waiting for our escape room session. I asked the bartender for “the maltiest thing you have.” Probably 75% of the time, this question gets met with a blank stare, and then I just ask for a Sam Adams or something they’ll recognize. The remaining quarter, I’ll get something I almost universally enjoy.

Fortunately, this bartender knew her stuff. She told me that they don’t have a lot of malty options, but that she would probably recommend Brown Eyed Squirrel. If somebody is informed enough to answer that question, their recommendation is probably a safe bet for me. I gave it a shot, and sure enough it was really good.

The beer itself strikes a fine line between flavor and heft (for lack of a better term). It has that warm, toasty flavor that I associate with the “malty” description. A lot of those malty beers just seem to sit really heavy on my stomach, though. You drink one, and it’s like eating a loaf of bread. Brown Eyed Squirrel doesn’t really have that effect. It drinks much more like the lighter ales and lagers that I associate with an afternoon cookout.

Fast forward a little while, and I was working with a lot of craft beer drinkers in Asheville, NC. Obviously, people in Asheville know their brews. With Sierra Nevada, Highland Brewing, Wicked Weed, and so many more options right around the corner, it’s hard to avoid becoming a little bit of a beer snob around them. What does the South Carolina guy know about good beer, right?


During my time with that company, a lady on our team retired and gave each of us a koozie with a Hazy Little Thing IPA from Sierra Nevada in it. While I rarely enjoy IPAs, I certainly appreciated the gesture. Working with people who like beer, it only makes sense to give those out as parting gifts.

As I was planning my exodus from the company, I decided to do the same thing, but with a beer from South Carolina. These people had Asheville breweries right at their back door. Something from south of the border might encourage them to broaden their horizons. Spartanburg would be a little more specific to me, and RJ Rockers is probably the biggest brewery in the area.

I deliberated for a while about which beer to use. RJ Rockers has a lot of good beer (contrary to what some will say). They have a coffee milk stout, but that’s probably much more of a niche flavor. Peachy King is really good, but not everybody goes for the high gravity scene. Of their more mainstream brews, Son of a Peach and Brown Eyed Squirrel are probably my favorites. Which to choose, though?


A coworker that I carpooled with seemed like a good tie breaker. I explained the situation to him, and asked which beer he would recommend, without the context that I was torn between two specifics. Amusingly, he also recommended Son of a Peach or Brown Eyed Squirrel. I knew we had similar tastes in beer, but not to the point that he would arrive at the exact same two options.

In the end, I decided that Brown Eyed Squirrel would be the less offensive of the two. Not everyone likes fruity beer, but most people will drink an ale of varying flavor profile. I left one for each person on my team, along with a personalized note. In addition, I left one in my desk drawer for whoever takes my place, and I gave one to the documentation guy because he mentioned it was a cool idea, and I didn’t want to leave him out.


So now, Brown Eyed Squirrel isn’t just a beer for me. It has some history and nostalgia associated with it. I open a can, and I think back to a job and coworkers that I don’t see anymore. When I get one on draft, I remember that bachelor party, and how much fun we had. If nostalgia had tasting notes, Brown Eyed Squirrel would be rich with those.

Comments