Thirsty Thursday Eve - Ole Smoky Nutmeg Dream

With the holidays coming up, I thought I'd share a super easy recipe that tastes like Christmas.


First thing firsts first, you’re here for a recipe, so here you go:

OLE SMOKY - NUTMEG DREAM
Isn’t it nice to have it at the beginning before numerous pages of text? Take note, food bloggers. Now, onto the details.

Shine Nog
I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not a fan of eggnog. Maybe I just haven’t tried the right brands, but any that I’ve had before left a weird, nauseating flavor in my mouth. I like custard, so I can’t see why I wouldn’t like eggnog, but here we are. Alas, I steer clear of the stuff.


A few years back, we were on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN and we visited the Ole Smoky Distillery. They offered free samples, and I’m certainly not one to turn down free alcohol. One of the options available was the Shine Nog, Ole Smoky Distillery’s eggnog liqueur. I guess it’s an eggnog liqueur. Frankly, I don’t really know what style of alcohol it is. In any case, I decided to burn one of my 10 sample cups on it, as did my wife. Despite previously disliking eggnog, curiosity got the better of me. It was free, after all.


Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the Shine Nog. It wasn’t anything like eggnog that I had tried before. Instead, it was very sweet and creamy, almost like Baileys Irish Cream with a lighter flavor and texture. As much as I liked it, my wife enjoyed it even more. So much, in fact, that we now buy a jar or two every year while it is available in stores. That’s the problem with seasonal drinks; you have to stock up while you can.

Kahlúa
As my coffee liqueur of choice, Kahlúa has a much less interesting contribution to this story. I picked up a bottle after I seemed to notice it in several mixed drinks. After I purchased some, I didn’t really see any interesting recipes with it. Hence, the bottle sat on my liquor shelf for several months with zero interaction.


Kahlúa is too sweet for me to drink straight, and coffee is too unique of a flavor to lend itself to many mixed drinks. As such, I began mixing it with seltzer water, which seemed to cut through some of the sweetness. I didn’t hate it, but I also didn’t plan on buying another bottle when I finished it.

Nutmeg Dream
I first discovered this recipe on the side of a jar of Shine Nog. It gave me a reason to get rid of some of my Kahlúa, and with nutmeg and cinnamon, it sounded like something I would enjoy.

My first attempt was a little on the spicy side. I added the nutmeg and ground cinnamon (because we rarely keep cinnamon sticks on hand) after the alcohol, and I used too much. The spices sat on top rather than mixing with the drink. After the first few sips removed most of the spices, the rest of the drink was surprisingly good.


Learning from my mistakes, I added less of the spices at the beginning, and poured the liquor over those. The balanced flavors and uniform texture made the finished product much better. It’s very sweet, but the spices make it taste more like an apple pie than a spoonful of sugar. Not that it’s apple flavored, but you get my drift. It has nuance, rather than just in your face sweetness.

If you don’t like eggnog, I would definitely recommend trying Shine Nog. Maybe don’t buy a full jar of it, but if you can catch it with a free sample, don’t be dissuaded by the name. This isn’t your father’s eggnog. Matter of fact, it probably isn’t eggnog at all, but it is delicious.

Resources:
Marchetti, N. (2014, November 26). Ole Smoky Shine Nog Is Holiday Whiskey Liqueur Candy In A Mason Jar. Retrieved from https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/ole-smoky-shine-nog-is-holiday-whiskey-liqueur-candy-in-a-mason-jar/.
Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine. (2014, November 11). Top Selling Holiday Flavor Shine Nog Brought Back By Ole Smoky® Tennessee Moonshine. Retrieved from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/top-selling-holiday-flavor-shine-nog-brought-back-by-ole-smoky-tennessee-moonshine-282273851.html.
Total Wine & More. (n.d.). Ole Smoky Tenn Moonshine Shine Nog. Retrieved from https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/white-whiskey-moonshine/ole-smoky-tenn-moonshine-shine-nog/p/151887750.

Comments