Runescape - Journey to 99 Runecrafting

After several weeks of grinding, I have achieved level 99 Runecrafting.



When I got falsely banned for botting while training magic, I decided to take a break from my high level alchemy grind and do something else that doesn’t take much attention. The most afk training method I could think of was Runespan. It doesn’t yield any profit, but it only takes 1 or 2 clicks per minute, and it is considered by far the fastest Runecrafting experience.

At first, I didn’t care about going for level 99. I wasn’t doing Runespan because I wanted to train my Runecrafting. I was doing Runespan because I didn’t want to get banned again. It was easy to do while working on other things because it didn’t take much attention. Even if I couldn’t pursue 99 magic, I could at least work on something without fear of getting banned.



I started training at Runespan on December 5, at level 85 and around 3.5M xp, from when I started playing again in October. By December 6, I was up to 3.7M xp and got Rue, the Runecrafting skill pet, after only a short time of training. Maybe getting level 99 Runecrafting wouldn’t be so bad.

I began monitoring my progress consistently on December 9, to get a feel for how quickly I gained xp and how much I averaged per day. Crunching the numbers, I discovered that I could maintain a rate of just under 50k xp per hour when I was on a roll. On a good day, I could get upwards of 300k per day. My average was a little closer to 250k per day. Either way, I was getting a quarter mil experience per day, easily.

From my starting point of 3.5M xp, to the level 99 requirement of about 13M xp, getting 9.5M xp would only take a little over a month. That wasn’t bad at all. Even if I hadn’t originally planned to go for 99 Runecrafting, I may as well get it while I was there.



Anytime I was doing something that didn’t take my full attention, I was training at the Runespan on my phone. While most of my time was spent afk, I did make a few friends while I was there. Harmoncorp was a few levels ahead of me, so it was an unstated competition for a while of who would get 99 Runecrafting first. Toward the end of the journey, lingling209 and I would have discussions about how working conditions differ between different regions of the country. I’d speak to DarkPegasuS whenever I saw him around. Several players came through, but a few of them were there more regularly than others.

Before long, I was within range. From level 97, I got to level 98 and then 99 in consecutive weeks. In the low 80’s, level 99 feels like forever away. When 99 is just a few levels ahead, that last 2.5M xp or so just seems like a challenge. Can I make it? Of course I can. Let’s see how long it takes.



On February 8, 2018, I finally hit level 99 Runecrafting. I started the day with just over 200k xp to go, and I knew that was completely feasible. In order to commemorate the event and keep the tradition of my previous level 99 skills, I took a video of hitting the skill mastery milestone. After I reached my goal, I wasn’t quite sure what to do. I stayed at the Runespan for a while, to the confusion of many players there. Several asked me what I was still doing there, and I couldn’t really give a definite answer. Part of me wanted to reach virtual level 100, just because I haven’t hit that for any skill yet. Another part of me just had no idea what to train next. I wasn’t quite ready to go back to training magic yet (and I’m still not). The inertia gained from training Runecrafting so consistently made it easier to keep doing it than to figure out something else to do.



Eventually, I decided to look into what other skills have afk training methods available. Several players mentioned using Artisan’s Workshop to train Smithing, so I may try my hand at that. Even if I don’t go for 99, I could at least get level 80 to knock out another requirement for unlocking Invention. After that, who knows? I’ll eventually get back to grinding out magic, but that could be in a few days or a few months.

It may be a long road, but I’m well on my way to "Lvl 99 Everything." I don’t know if I’ll ever get all skills to 99, but I’m certainly not stopping any time soon. We’ll see where my travels in Gielinor take me.

Comments