SNHU: Update 1

As I come up on the end of my first term at Southern New Hampshire University, I figured it's as good a time as any to give an update on my progress so far.

First and foremost, I'm doing remarkably well in class. For IT-510 Advanced Information Technology, I have 386.9 of the 395 possible points so far, resulting in a 98%. For the first few weeks, I read the textbook like a good student should. Lately... I've just Googled things as I needed them. Concepts that I didn't understand, I look over the first few Google results and wing it. Clearly, it's worked well for me so far. The only points that I have lost through the entire term have been based on formatting, since I didn't adhere strictly to APA style. Did I mention that I hate formatting?

On the other hand, I feel like the people that I'm in class with are surprisingly ignorant for a master's program. The spelling and grammar errors in discussion posts are prolific. I figured people that would pursue a master's degree would look over their work, but I'm clearly mistaken. Every week, the professor sends out announcements for people who are behind. She gives ample opportunity to get caught up at the cost of a few points for being late. Still, people don't seem to turn in their work at all, on time or not.

I'm not going to complain. I'd rather be in classes that are disappointingly easy than struggle my way through every module. This isn't exactly what I expected of the program, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I went into this endeavor for a degree, and if I can keep up 2 years of Google-fu, I should be able to manage that. I'll have a Master of Science in Information Technology, with a focus in Software Application Development.

This first term is over on November 12th. Hopefully, when I give another update between the end of this term and the beginning of next term, I will maintain the same level of confidence in my ability. Starting off my time at SNHU with a 4.0 GPA would be incredible, and a great morale boost for the remainder of the program.

Comments