The 4 Points Church Claw Machine

A little while back, I was determined to win some stuffed penguins from a claw machine for my kids, but it took over a month to actually get the opportunity.


Our church has a claw machine in the lobby near the entrance. They have different things in it, but the bulk of the contents are usually stuffed penguins wearing shirts with the church logo on them. Somewhere around the beginning of summer, I decided that the kids would like to have one. They both like penguins and I figured the money would be going to a good place.


The first Sunday that I decided to look into it, I checked the machine to see what kinds of payment methods it accepted. Upon inspection, I noticed that it took coins and bills, but no credit card payment. Fair enough, that’s pretty standard. Credit card payments usually have a transaction fee associated and the readers are often finicky. I wasn’t mad. I took a look in the truck for cash, but I couldn’t find any.

That week, I looked in the truck again and discovered that we did have a $10 bill stuffed in some nook or cranny. Ah well, I would just try again next week. When Sunday came again, I grabbed the bill from the truck and brought it in with us. I stuck the bill in the reader and it pushed right back out. Looking at the bill slot again, the machine only accepts $1 and $5 bills. Well, alright. I could’ve asked for change, but it wasn’t a big deal. I would plan for the next week.

Sunday number three, I brought in a pretty decent quality $5. It wasn’t perfect, but it didn’t have any rips or folds. I put it into the machine, fully expecting I would get 20 attempts at a penguin. Unfortunately, the bill shot out again. I tried a few times to smooth it out against the edge of the machine, but it wasn’t meant to be. Every single time I tried to insert the bill, the machine refused to accept it.

Fine. If the machine didn’t want to take bills, I would bring quarters. That week, I made a point to break the $5 for change and threw the quarters in the coin slot of my truck’s center console. Bet I won’t be fooled again.

On the fourth Sunday, I was ready. I grabbed a handful of quarters, confident that the coin slot would accept them without issue. I stepped into the lobby and… the machine was turned off. No lights on, no sounds. It wasn’t out of order, just turned off. I could’ve pitched a fit and had someone turn it on or see if I could figure it out myself, but I just took it as a sign. No penguins this week.


Finally, on the fifth Sunday, I came in with quarters and the machine was turned on. I half expected to put a coin in and have the machine just explode. In this instance, fate was a kind mistress. I popped the quarter in and the timer started to count down. I moved the claw over what looked like the easiest penguin to grab and hit the button. The claw dropped and almost grabbed the penguin, but didn’t quite make it back up.

After another attempt or two, I had one penguin. Just to make sure the kids didn’t fight over it, I tried a few more times and got a second penguin. For probably $3 or less in quarters, I had two penguins with the church logo. It was an ordeal to get there, but we made it.


The penguins have since joined the Hennett penguin family and been graciously accepted. I’m hoping that we don’t need a third penguin any time soon, but if we do, I’m coming prepared with a sack full of quarters and a whole lot of patience.

Comments